DR MARTIN LUTHER KING JR HISTORIC TOUR



THE OUTFIT OF THE DAY IS:
BELK: CROWN & IVY TANK, SHORTS, STEVE MADDEN SUNGLASSES AND BRAHMIN HANDBAG
ZARA: SHOES
***Information courtesy of Martin Luther King Jr. National Historic Site Georgia Phamplet...

Hi Fashion Loves,

I thought long and hard how to write this blog  because of the gentle, peaceful preacher Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. that chose to protest for Civil Rights as a respectable man and would probably not be to happy with the path the world has chosen to take.

I was excited for this Adventure to Atlanta Georgia when I saw this amazing site on Facebook.  The day was a blistering hot day so I had to dress comfortably but stylish.  I decided to wear my new Crown & Ivy purchases from Belk.  I started with a basic tank which is made of polyester with a polyester lining making the material cool and comfortable.  The color blended well with my embroidered flowers on my Crown & Ivy Shorts. 

The historic site was going to require a lot of walking so my Zara shoes were perfect for the occasion and the neutral color didn’t take away from my outfit. The little removable flaps on my shoes is a nice detail with a heart on one and Love on the other which is appropriate for my Adventure.


I wanted to be able to store things but not carry a big handbag so I decided on my Brahmin Handbag from Belk it is the right size without being bulky.  The black and white color scheme also flowed with my outfit.



 The Martin Luther King Jr. National Historic Site Georgia begins at The Visitor Center located at 450 Auburn Avenue NE Atlanta Georgia but parking is located at John Wesley Dobbs Ave.

As I have stated previously the path that the world has taken has made me a little frightful Adventuring by myself.  I get lost have to make U-turns and in one lane realizing I have to be in another and people are usually kind.  However in today’s times I am afraid one wrong move will get me cussed out or killed. I head to Atlanta Georgia my anxiety starting to mount but I was going to see the Martin Luther King Jr. Historical Site so I can see where the legend was born a man.

 As I look for the National Park Service Visitor Center I can’t find the free parking for the facility I drive around in circles and I decide to go into a gas station. 

1. My anxiety starts mounting as I ask the gas attendant for directions in the sweetest tone he gives me the directions twice so I can understand.  I thanked him and head on my way I park at the designated parking areas and head into the visitor center to begin my journey.  The first thing I see in the Visitor Center is a quote from Martin Luther King Jr. that fits the events occurring now.

It is no longer a choice, my friends, between
violence and nonviolence.
It is either nonviolence or nonexistence.


As I wonder around the Visitors Center I collect my map and look at all the history of Dr. King’s fight from beginning to the end for equality for all.  I noticed in all his protests and marches for change the Man Was Never Violent.  No matter what wrong was done to him or his family he promoted “Nonviolence”.  As I read the timeline of  his life I understood why,  his studies in college was focused on Jesus of Nazareth, Mahatma Gandhi, his family and other peaceful individuals trying to make a better world for All Not One.  There was a overwhelming peace that arouse from me when I viewed Dr. Kings accomplishments again he fought for Equality for All Not Just One.  He was a man of All Rights.

 2. As I approached the wagon that carried his coffin I attempted a selfie to no avail.  I was approached by a kind gentleman that offered to take the photo. I thanked him and went to my next destination.

 The Ebenezer Baptist Church Heritage Sanctuary which  Dr. King quoted “This church has always been a second home to me”.  The church was built in 1914-22 The King family served in this church promoting love and nonviolence now that does not mean the people around them were not violent but he chose to stand by his convictions of 
nonviolence. 





*****This is reminder of the violence around him is the clock on the wall stopped at 10:30 the beginning of the funeral of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.


 Everybody can be great, because everybody can serve, You don’t have to have a college degree to serve….You don’t have to know Einstein’s theory of relativity to serve…You only need a heart full of grace, a soul generated by love.  And you can be that servant.
Martin Luther King Jr. “The Drum Major Instinct” sermon Ebenezer Church,
February 4,1968
"BEHOLD"  Depicts the Baptistim of the infant KIZZY by his Father KUNTA KINTE


The next stop was The King Center which is the location of the reflecting pool which is the resting place of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. and Coretta Scott King the couple who risked their life, peace and family for equality of all.  According to Dr. King he credits his success to the courageous men, women and children he lead. (National Park Service U.S. Department of the Interior Phamplet) The King Center is also the location of the Eternal Flame which represents the King’s commitment to community.

 3. In this area I was trying to take a photo in front of the King’s Tomb and trying to take it myself but I was blocking the tomb. 

 I was approached by a Security Officer Allen Vanderhorst who couldn’t take the photo for me because of a previous incident by another but assists me in positioning my camera and myself. Mr. Vanderhorst speaks kindly to me and makes me more comfortable as my jounery continues and a few other people enter into our conversation about photography and kindness.


Then I arrive at the Historic Fire Station No. 6 the first integrated firehouse which was built in 1894 in the Romanesque Style.



I finally arrive at the Birth Home of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. which took place on January 15, 1929.  Dr. King lived here until he was 12 and then they moved to Boulevard. 
In 1964 Dr. Martin Luther King Jr became the youngest person to receive the Noble Peace Prize. Dr. King lived a short life but his life was meant something.  I want to live a life that means something and makes a difference whether it is long or short....I want to work for Good and remain Nonviolent even if the world around me is not living the same.

 The tour is free but you have to sign in at the Visitors Center and the Tours were full. Due to the massive public that wants to see the home of the Civil Rights Leader only so many are allowed in a day. I sat all inspired on the hallowed ground I was walking and the journey I was following in history…History is important all of it the good we must mimic the bad we must learn from and do not repeat. In the times we are in now we seem to be repeating which will lead to our ultimate demise.  The old saying goes "Do you want to be right or do you want peace."



I am not saying don't protest your rights just do it peaceful.  I will be honest is you speak softly I listen, you speak loudly I don't pay you any attention. I think you are crazy so you point does not register to me.  My father was an Army Sargent that barked orders and I rarely paid him any attention.  I learned to block him out.  My mother spoke softly and I took her opinions to heart...


 I continued my tour to the Historic Residential Area of the homes surrounding the King Birth Home photographing the amazing architecture especially the famous Shotgun Homes.






 I toured Historic Auburn Avenue and then I turned and headed toward Boulevard  to see where the Historic meets the New.  

The Graffiti is like a living museum to me I wonder aimlessly admiring through the streets of Hot Atlanta noticing that my anxiety has diminished. God allowed me to encounter three amazing people to settle me and let me do what I am meant to do Adventure.   The three encounters made me open up and carry on conversations on my tours learn how people got there how they meet and what the journey means to them the way I have always approached my Adventures. 




Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. approach to nonviolence is still felt as you tour this historic site you want to be nice and kind his presence is felt.  As I gather my belongings and head back to my car I walk along the walkway and then I realize I am walking on historic footprints of those that have gone before me to set my dreams and God’s plan in motion.........



My Grandfather loved LENA HORNE......









This will be the perfect time to address the issue of Charlottesville. I keep seeing on Facebook the question of why are Christians silent on Charlottesville well I am taking the attitude of Jesus Christ and Dr. Martin Luther King on my viewings of this particular incident which there have been many.  

Here goes I have a relationship with God and not a religion and I try to do good even when fair things don’t happen to me but everyone in the world is not the same.  They think of themselves and what they want not what is good for the world or country.  Evil is in this world and you chose to be a part of it or not.  I work retail and it is hard dealing with the public but I have the support of my coworkers who understands my pain and I theirs we are all race and religions but we bond together to support each one. We are one.  

When I speak of fear on my Adventures now I am not afraid of a certain race or gender.  Working in the retail industry you realize that Evil doesn't have a Race, Gender or Economic Status. Evil is just in someones heart...




“The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.”
Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
Selma, Alabama, March 8, 1965



********Also to end just remember this Fashion Loves 2 Timothy 3:1-5

You should know this,Timothy, that in the last days there will be very difficult times. For people will love themselves and their money. The will be boastful and proud, scoffing at God, disobedient to their parents, and ungrateful. They will consider nothing sacred. They will be unloving and unforgiving: they will slander others and have no self-control. They will be cruel and hate what is good.  They will betray their friends, be reckless, be puffed up with pride, and love pleasure rather  than God.  They will act religious, but they will reject the power that could make them godly.  Stay away from people like
that!******



Fashion Loves chose good or bad but good can change the heart of an evil soul sometimes but that sometimes is all that matters and that could change the world. God can change his mind and not end the world the choice is ours he had enough confidence in us to give us Free-Will.  How will you use yours?

Love,
Dana


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CHARMING TOWN OF UNION SOUTH CAROLINA

A JOURNEY TO HELL'S GATE, OAKWOOD CEMETERY

ROYSTON GEORGIA HOME OF TY COBB