A SHORT TRIP TO LAURENS SOUTH CAROLINA

THE OUTFIT CONSIST OF:
JCPENNEY: Tank Top and Worthington Shorts
BELK: Nine West Handbag and Steve Madden Sunglasses
FOREVER21: Sandals 

**** Information Courtesy of Walk The Courthouse Square given to me at the Laurens Museum

Fashion Loves,

I had to work 6 days this week making me thoroughly exhausted and drained. I had planned on staying home on this Sunday but with my Soul feeling empty I got up watched Joel Osteen and headed to Laurens South Carolina.





 Still hot as Hades in the south I dawned my JCPenney sassy little tank top along with my JCPenney Worthington Shorts and wondered around the square of Laurens SC


 My hands were full and I wanted to relax so I chose to carry my newly purchased lightweight handbag by Nine West from Belk. The design of the Nine West Handbag is a Crossbody Style that is a neutral color. The material is so soft and easy to dance around with and adventure. The Nine West Bag large enough to put all of my stuff in.


The suns beaming rays were focused on my hazel eyes so I decided to wear my Steve Madden Sunglasses that I purchased also at Belk.  These inexpensive glasses protects from the sun and lightens up your surroundings it is really weird when you put on these sunglasses it feels a though you have entered and alternate universe.


What can I say about these amazing comfortable Forever 21 heeled sandals with an edge?  I marched around and felt so cute in my new neutral shoes also the grommet around the straps just makes the shoe.


 According to the internet website, the small Museum of Laurens South Carolina is opened on Sundays 2-5. I met these nice gentlemen who gave me a tour and A Self-Guided Tour Pamphlet of Walk The Courthouse Square.  
I was also informed that the Museum is moving to the square and will be open on Thursdays also.  The Museum not only has local historic information and collections of the town but also houses The Crawford Native American Artifact Collection that consists of pots, pipes, arrows and many other Native American ArtifactsThe Crawford Collection is an Amazing site to see.  Considering my exhaustion level I didn’t do the walking tour on this day I will be back for that I just walked around the square and looked at the Architecture. 


I sat on the bench and stared at the Courthouse and the few locals in town, on this deserted Sunday, stared at me.  There was also this Gray SUV with an older couple  that drove around and around the square at least 8 times that I noticed.  At one moment I was taking a picture and motioned for them to move I am trying to draw interest to save your town ask me what I am doing and stop stalking me.  My sister and I did a Tour of Homes a few years ago but that event is no longer going on.  This is so sad because of the wonderful Old Homes in Laurens South Carolina which my sister and I had a wonderful day touring.


 The Laurens County Historic Courthouse is located in the Public Square of Laurens SC and is the Greek Revival Style built around 1837-1838.  The Structure is no longer used as a Courthouse but houses such organizations as Main Street Laurens Organizations, Veterans Affairs and Representative Jeff Duncan.



There are Monuments on the North and South End of the Courthouse that represents each war except WW1. 

  The most prominent Monument is the Solider donated by the Daughters of the Confederacy in 1910.  According to my Walking Tour Guide The Solider faces away from the Courthouse to “Symbolize his Guardianship of the People.”
The most fascinating to me is the history of The Ghost Signs which are the faded advertisements on the walls because in the old days there were no billboards so this is how people promoted their businesses. 

  The Coca-Cola Sign was repainted to for a TV Show called Town Haul TV and is a beautiful photo op. 

 The City Hall was established around 1889-1890 and was the home to the fire and police departments that worked together in order to protect the people of Laurens SC. 
The Laurens Opera House was located on the second floor, the community would come together to listen to opera and later silent movies were filmed here.  The community was a close knit people and during World War II they held dances for soldiers from Camp Croft in Spartanburg SC and soldiers training in the area.  The town was so deserted I had a ball just dancing around and playing in the street.  The buildings made me feel at home and happy.  I feel closeness and acceptance with these old buildings.
I sat on the bench in front of the courthouse, relaxed and connected to the building.  I feel for these beautiful buildings and somehow find a connection to these structures. 
  These structures where built from people with not as much technology as we have today.  I feel for the history that these homes hold and the secrets they carry.  I also appreciate the Happiness they hold as well as the Sadness they feel not only for the owners but for the rejection the homes feel for letting them die.  The importance that they were built for and the individuals they protected from heat, rain and snow just to be thrown away when something better became available.
Unlike the modern buildings the homes from days past loved you as much as you loved them and imagine their heartbreak of not being need anymore. 

Fashion Loves I love the Modern Buildings what they have to offer and what they hold but why can’t we have the New and the Old they both have something to offer.
Love,
Dana

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CHARMING TOWN OF UNION SOUTH CAROLINA

A JOURNEY TO HELL'S GATE, OAKWOOD CEMETERY

ROYSTON GEORGIA HOME OF TY COBB