HISTORIC PENDLETON SC SPRING JUBILEE

THE OUTFIT CONSISTS OF:
BELK:  Michael Kors Watch, Silverworks Silver Cross & Steve Madden Sunglasses
FOREVER 21:  Sandals
CATO:  T-Shirt & Distressed Denim Jeans (In Stores Now)
CVS:  Bow Ring (In Stores Now)
*****Information courtesy of: HMdb.org/pendeltonsc, hubpages.com/politics/pendleton-sc-historic-house-tour & South Carolina's Historic Pendleton Walking Tour Map.

Hi Fashion Loves,

Today I head off to Pendleton SC for the annual Spring Jubilee which is a combination of Art, Crafts and of course a Self-guided Walking Tour of the Historic Homes in town.  Most people choose whether to attend the spring festivities in and around their communities but I work most weekends so when I realized I was off on Sunday I was excited.  




The Adventure turned out to be on a hot day so I was got to wear my new spring outfit from Cato.  The Soft Pink/Peach T-Shirt went well with my Distressed Jeans with a Peach/Pink Flower accompanied by white embroidered flowers which are new items in the store.  The Distressed Jeans are comfy however if you plan on purchasing these jeans there is no give.  The jeans are made with no spandex so I had to go up a size.

I accessorize my outfit with if you can believe a cute Bow Ring from CVS, yes CVS is selling costume jewelry. 

 I love my Bow Ring and it goes well with my Gold Michael Kors Watch.  For my protection I went with my trusty Silverworks Cross which is my favorite necklace.  My Steve Madden Sunglasses were a must because the Spring Sun was blaring and I loved it.  

Since my Walking Tour of Homes was one of the main reasons I wanted to attend the Spring Jubilee in Pendleton South Carolina so I needed to wear comfy shoes and my Forever 21 Stylish Sandals fit the occasion.  My Forever 21 Sandals are in a camel color and blends with everything and made my Walking Tour very pleasant.

Pendleton South Carolina is a quaint little town about 15 minutes from my home bordering the town of Clemson South Carolina which is the home of the Clemson Tigers. 

 Pendleton South Carolina was established in 1790 of predominantly Scotch-Irish farmers which is my heritage.  My Great-Aunt had a large home in the center of Pendleton South Carolina which she later moved out of and was eventually torn down. My mother said she loved visiting there and playing on the grounds but the massive home was hard to keep up and heat so that was its ultimate downfall.  My Aunts Home didn't survive but Pendleton has done their best to keep the homes and buildings up to date to preserve the heritage of the town.

Let's get started on my favorite pass time Old Home Self-Guided Walking Tour which you can pick up your map at our first stop:


1.The Hunter's Store......(Visitors Center) which is located at 125 East Queen Street Pendleton South Carolina 29670.  The Store was built in 1850 for Jesse Lewis and sold the basic needs to the town. 

 In 1870 the store became the Hunter and Long store and eventually James Hunter gained full control of the store to be passed on through family generations. In 1929 the store itself became used for storage and in 1968 the Tri-County Pendleton District Commission made the store its new headquarters and it has family history archives to look up your history.  

This Historic Store is also the home of a friendly Ghost that came to his demise after a night of drinking from which he fell in a stream and didn't want to go home to face the wrath of his wife.

  His well meaning friends dropped him off at the store to sleep of his adventures in his wet clothes.  This deadly mistake took his life when the temperatures dipped below freezing. He was found the next day frozen to death and with this unexpected death he still roames Hunter's Store.

  


2. Farmer's Society Hall..... which is a Greek Revival built in 1826 to house the courthouse but with devastating news that Anderson SC was chosen to be the central location of the Judical Courts the dream never came to pass.

However the Farmer's Society Hall was not a waste it was used for many significant events such as the second floor meeting hall which was were Thomas Green Clemson campaigned for an Argricultural College to this day is known as Clemson University.



3. Guard House....... which was built in 1860 on the site of the former jail.  The Guard House was also used as the town library and now presently the magistrate's office. The distinct colors of Red and White make it hard to miss and it is a cute building.





4.  Lowther Hall...... which was built in 1793 for Dr. William Hunter and was purchased in 1815 by the Right Honorable William Lord Viscount Lowther which was a Lord of the Treasury of Great Britian.



5. Boxwood House...... built in 1811 by Dr. Fredrick Symmes who was a Physician and Editor of The Pendleton Messenger.  The home was named for its many Boxwoods which are at least 160 years old.




6. Simpson House.....belonged to Richard Wright Simpson a legislator and attorney who wrote Thomas G. Clemson's Will.


7. Poe House.....Mrs. Ellen Taylor Poe built this residence in 1860 after returning to Pendleton with her small children after her husband death.  Her husband was the second cousin to the poet Egar Allen Poe.




8. Picken's House....... the house was built in 1860 by Dr. Thomas Pickens as a wedding present to his new bride but without consulting the future Mrs. the gesture was not her dream.  



The lovely couple per the new Mrs. Pickens request decided to reside in the home given to her by her father Samuel Maxwell. 


 The beautiful Picken's home was sold upon its completion to Captain James Faraquhar Green of Charleston who appreciated the home and made it his home for many years.  The final owners of the home became the decendants of the Joseph J. Sitton.



Fashion Loves visit the lovely town of Pendleton South Carolina and walk the beautiful tree lined streets, visit the local shops and imagne the town of the past.  The quaintness of the town is still in the air, let your imagainations run wild and feel the quiteness of what once was.  The closeness of families and getting to know you neighbor which has become a thing of the past.  


Also if you visit during the Fall and want to brave the crowds attend a Clemson Football Game and watch those Tiger's roar.  

Appreciate the time and your oppurtunities to attend the spring festivals it is rare for me because of my schedule which makes it all the more exciting to experience and live life.....


Love,
Dana





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CHARMING TOWN OF UNION SOUTH CAROLINA

A JOURNEY TO HELL'S GATE, OAKWOOD CEMETERY

ROYSTON GEORGIA HOME OF TY COBB