ATHENS GEORGIA INFORMATION TOUR


THE OUTFIT I WORE TODAY:
BELK: (New) CROWN & IVY SHORTS & TRUE CRAFT SUNGLASSES
PAPAYA: (Old) TOP
ZARA: (New) MULTI STRAP SANDALS
MISSPAP: (New) Slip on Tennis Shoes aka Trainers
****information courtesy of www.n-georgia.com/church-waddel-brumby-house and Walking Tour of Athens Music History Pamphlet...

Hi Fashion Loves,

With the Wedding keeping me busy and hanging with my nephew on my vacation I needed a Dana Day.  I have been wanting to go to Athens Georgia because of their multitude of Old Homes not yet destroyed by the modern world.  Athens Georgia did not disappoint me at all and the information I received at the Welcome Center made me even more excited about my future explorations.  


I started out my tour of Athens Georgia on this 90 degree day with my nice multicolored tank from a little inexpensive store in Commerce Georgia called Papaya.  

My Papaya top was a perfect combination with my New Scalloped Green Shorts from Belk.  I am in love with the shorts from Crown & Ivy, these particular shorts has a circular design in the material making them even more interesting.  The material is cool and washable but I hang them to dry.  I love the Kelly Green Color which is my Color Palette.  


As I think about what I learned in church about humility I have to put that teaching to the waist side because I have been busting my but trying to get my legs toned.  Honey from this photo...BAM...I am there, I just have to keep the work up.   


I finished off my outfit with my new Multi Strap Sandals from Zara.  The Colors on the sandals were the perfect compliment to my colorful outfit.  


There was a lot of walking in this Adventure so I did switch to my New Misspap Slip on Shoes or as they are called in the UK Trainers to enjoy the rest of my exploration.
No matter what team you like the Georgia Bulldog is cute.
I started my Exploration at where else an Adventurer should start at the Welcome Center aka The CHURCH-WADDEL-BRUMBY HOUSE located at  280 East Dougherty St Athens Georgia...

This home is located at the corner of Thomas and Dougherty St and it considered to be one of Athens oldest surviving residences. The Church-Waddel-Brumby House was located on Hancock St. and in 1967 it was moved an 1/8th of a mile away to prevent its demolition due to the urban renewal plan.  Heery & Heery Architects made detail drawings of the home to keep its history intact. In 1971 The Athens-Clarke Hertiage Association along with the Urban Renewal Administration of the U.S. Department of  Housing and Urban Development allocated funds for the first time in the southeast to historic preservation.

   
The Church-Waddel-Brumby House construction began shorty after November 1819 when Alonzo Church arrived in Athens.  Alonzo Church was the a professor and later the President of the University of Georgia.  Mr. Church never lived in the home due to his switch a home with existing University President Dr. Moses Waddel.  Dr. Moses Waddel remained in the home during his 9 year reign as The University of Georgia President.  In 1934 Mrs. Sarah H. Harris purchased the home which she lived in until she passed it on to her great-granddaughers, Miss Mary Harris Brumby & Miss Anne Walls Brumby which lived there until their passing in the 1960's. The Brumby Sister's were the last private owners to live in the residence. That is when the concerned citizens of Athens Georgia formed the Athens-Clarke Hertiage Association to saved Athens Historical Homes.




The informaiton at the  Welcome Center was amazing. I purchased 6 Tours Pamphlets of different parts of Athens which were a staggering $1.00 a piece. Just Kidding it is a donation that I was happy to pay to save the old homes & the history of this town.  One of my favorites of the Tour Pamphlets is the Walking Tour of Athens Music History.   The B-52's and R.E.M got their start in Athens.  A member of the B-52's is buried in the Cemetery, You know I love my cemeteries.  A member of R.E.M, Pete Buck, worked at Wuxtry Records.  there will be a blog dedicated entirely to ATHENS GEORGIA BEHIND THE MUSIC.  I use to love that T.V. Show Behind the Music. 


The one music venue I did visit was The Georgia Theatre at 215 N. Lumpkin St. which was tranformed into a Music Hall in January 11,1978 by Hap Harris and Sam Smartt.  

The popularity of the music hall enticed the likes of The Police, The B-52's, R.E.M, BB King and many more.  The populariy could not sustain the venue and it eventually closed in 1980.  In 1989 Kyle Pilgrim and Duck Anderson tried their hand at the music entertainment business hosting the likes of Widespread Panic, David Allen Coe, Ice-T, The Dave Matthews Band, Hootie and the Blowfish and many more.  R.E.M also made a contribution to the survival of the theater by filming a portion of their video for "Shiny Happy People" in the historical location. The location changed hands again to Wilmont Green and according to the information I have still owns it. When I was there Security was waiting outstide and the entertainment was beginning.
 
Even the Subway is Historic...

The Capital Building...


Fashion Loves can you say obsessed?  Athens Georgia is only 1 Hour and 23 minutes and I am ready for my Music History Tour.  I am purchasing the Ghost of Athens Book and I am ready to get started making multiple trips to Athens Georgia.  This is a beautiful town of old homes and history and my coursity has been peaked and I love a good Ghost Story.  My Mom is a little concerned.

Fashion Loves let you courious mind go and explore to your hearts content, I am...
Love,
Dana




Comments

  1. Take me with you on one of them... I'd love to go with you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed your blog!
    I like how you go around and show your state and other road trip locations, very nice!
    Don't think I have ever seen a high heel tour guide before!...Lol You will wear them anywhere!...Lol
    Thanks for sharing!
    dhphotographyandmarketing@gmail.com
    Don H.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the compliments. Depends how far I walk but I have flat shoes in a bag just incase.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

CHARMING TOWN OF UNION SOUTH CAROLINA

A JOURNEY TO HELL'S GATE, OAKWOOD CEMETERY

ROYSTON GEORGIA HOME OF TY COBB